Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Big Business

          Someone once told me that our country is no longer ran by our government, but is now ran by the big multi-billion dollar companies. At first I thought that this was a preposterous statement but now I am beginning to believe it. Now don't get me wrong I know that business is what made this country what it is (or should I say "what it was") today. But now businesses, such as the oil companies, have become so rich and so powerful that the can throw millions of dollars around to get exactly what they want. We have so many lobbyists in D.C. that are paid by big businesses that we can barely do anything to save our planet from climate change. These rich companies can set the prices of their products pretty much as high as they want and no one can do anything about it. I have also learned in my criminology class at WMU that many of these big businesses have pulled so many strings and found so many loop holes that not only do they not have to pay taxes to our government but now the government actually owes the businesses money! I mean come on! Our country is in the crapper and these ungodly rich corperations are getting our tax dollars!? I'm sorry but that's just messed up. It seems that the almighty dollar prevails again.

3 comments:

  1. as they say money talks. and politicians have to get their money from somewhere right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. The influence of large corporations is really scary. It's especially ridiculous how much corporations ignore environmental standards. The disrespect for natural resources is rampant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Money talks... we just need to be creative and think of how we can get it to talk for the environment--and talk louder that the oil/businessmen!! Do not despair though!!

    On a side note, if you want to get some experience with DNR/NPS etc you should try getting an SCA internship, when I was an intern with them a while ago my roommate was studying criminal justice and Env studies so she could be a conservation officer too... that might cheer you up and keep you focused despite things mentioned above.
    www.TheSCA.org

    ReplyDelete